UK FIELD STUDY COURSE 2007
- May 12, 2007
May 12 -
A guided walk in the Eden valley (a different section from that of May 7) organised by the local Archaeological and Antiquarian Society.
May 12 - Starting point: Little Salkeld Water Mill. Built in the 18th century, the mill still uses the power of the Eden to produce stoneground flour the traditional way.
May 12 - Long Meg (12.3) and her Daughters. The second largest stone circle in the country, dating to about 1500 BC. Local legend has it that a witch and her daughters were turned to stone for profane dancing on the Sabbath.
May 12 -Addingham Church. The site of a church since about AD 850. The present structure dates back to the 15th century.
May 12 - Lacey’s Caves. Doubtless inspired by the Wetheral caves down river (seen on May 7) these are much more recent, having been carved by a local landowner in the 18th century: partly to use as a wine cellar and partly just for fun.
~ Next Day ~